nearly 9 months ago I observed my current lifestyle. i had moved back from new york city and signed a one-year lease in savannah, georgia. i had a full time job at a boutique with no immediate plans for the future except to see where my life would take me within the year. i knew i didn’t want to sit around and waste time and that i wanted to apply myself in someway. i might as well learn something while i’m in this transitioning period.
i thought about my education at film school and i thought about all of the films that were considered “film classics” that i had never seen, or all of the films that everyone around me had seen but me, or what was so special about annie hall really? (i had watched it in high school and been asking myself this ever since.)
so i opened up a netflix account and complied my ultimate film “bucket list.” classic films, recommended films, film’s i felt i needed to re-watch, and occasional oddballs that i was just curious about. the list took nearly 9 months to complete, with 111 films (plus a few less memorable ones.)
i felt as if i was continuing my education. i’d watch several films from the same director in one week and really become acquainted with their style, or the same actor, or i paid attention to the lighting or the writing or the wardrobe. to say the least, doing this list was one of the most enjoyable, most educational, and most time consuming projects of my life.
out of 111 films, let me shorten my opinions and knowledge for you in one blog post and perhaps you’ll find a new favourite or two. the complete list and ratings of each film can be seen in this blog post. ‘er we go…
- favourite films from the list : the talented mr. ripley, some like it hot, an affair to remember
- worst films from the list : blade runner, the young girls of rochefort, the last days of disco
- weirdest films from the list : blue velvet, 3 women, 2001 space odyssey
- best female performances : vivian leigh (a streetcar named desire) rosalind russell (auntie mame) and barbra streisand (funny girl)
- best male performances : matt damon (the talented mr. ripley) al pacino (dog day afternoon) samuel l. jackson (pulp fiction)
- personal preference : kill bill 1 > kill bill 2, godfather 1 < godfather 2, grey gardens documentary > grey gardens feature, goddard > truffaut, young cary grant < old cary grant
- cinema crushes : ryan o’neal (paper moon) clark gable (it happened one night) anna karina (une femme est une femme) katherine hepburn (bringing up baby) jack lemon (some like it hot) cary grant (any)
- casablanca took me 4 times to watch to either stay awake or understand.
- marlon brando is creepy, yet something about him makes him so attractive…
- grey gardens (the documentary) is a combination of best and weirdest film. example, little edie explaining her wardrobe choices for the day…
- annie hall is better the second time around (and then 3rd, and then 4th, and so on… )
- great lighting : 8 ½
- great character development : thelma and louise
- great wardrobe : audrey hepburn in how to steal a million
- great writing : pulp fiction
- great everything : the shawshank redemption
yes yes, and so i’ve begun to compile a second film bucket list. who knows when it will happen (probably not in paris) but i will be sure to let you know when it does. i hope you’ve taken away some recommendations!
Read Full Post »